Monday, August 11, 2014

I swear I miss the strangest things that I never thought I would.  I thought I'd miss a specific food or ache to return home for fear of missing out.  But most of my friends just graduated and everyones lives have swept on my way or another anyways.  I miss the strangest things that come at random moments.  I don't miss any food.  I miss things I shared with my significant other that I never even knew I looked for to.  I don't ache to return home in fear I'm missing out.  When I return home, I will then again be in search for a job, I will be living at home, and I will be trying to figure out what the heck I want from life.  I thought while here I'd have plenty of time to do some "soul searching" and figure out what it is I most wanted and the direction I needed to go.  But nothing has came to mind and nothing has changed on my decisions for the future (or lack of decisions).  But I have found some freedom.  I have found freedom in knowing that it's okay to not know my next move.  It's okay to change your mind day-to-day.  I'm 23 and I wish I had more of an idea of what I wanted, but there's only one thing for certain I know right now.  I have had a lot of time to read while here and I came across a point well made that the lack-of-decision is actually the enemy.  That no matter where or what the starting point is, one can only move forward from there.  Even if it is not your permanent direction you learn and you grow, and that can only benefit you. So, as long as I keep moving, and keeping jumping, and keep trying, I have decided that that is enough.

I became "homesick" two weeks ago, so I moved forward. I agreed to meet a man out (from a mutual friend) to help him with his English.  I booked a trip to Rome for the weekend.  The man I met turned out to be a very awesome, and talented man.  He was published in Times magazine last year for his works. We sat and talked for an hour or so and I got to see and hear about his history with his artwork, we shared music and stories.  The next morning I left on my train to go to Rome.  On the way there I sat across from an Australian (one of many I'd meet that weekend). This Australian spoke of his travels he'd been on and his plans to continue travel.  He stuck out to me because unlike a lot of the people I met we didn't try to extend the moment into the future by sharing numbers, Facebook accounts, names, etc.  We both talked about this and how pointless it was because the people you meet will always be a memory of a weekend or a fun night at dinner but it's rare it extends beyond this.  He too found the tourist attractions interesting but prefer the experience of the travel in itself.  He told me to let life happen and go with whatever comes my way.  It is nothing, something I've heard a million times, but I think I will always remember this man.  And following that, I had an amazing weekend in the great Roman city. :)

"How wild it was, to let it be." - Cheryl Strayed

No comments:

Post a Comment